Winning Cases Since 2009
Getting a divorce is difficult at any age, but the challenges may be even greater for those who are over 50. This is because many older couples have accumulated more assets and may have more complex financial situations, including retirement accounts and pensions, as well as more real estate and other investments. If you are considering divorce and are over 50, it is important to work with a lawyer who is familiar with and experienced in handling these types of cases. At Hedayati Law Group P.C., we have helped many individuals over the age of 50 navigate their divorce and are prepared to help you as well.
What Is Grey Divorce?
The term “grey divorce” refers to a divorce that takes place between two individuals who are over the age of 50. According to the National Center for Family & Marriage Research, the rate of grey divorce has more than doubled since 1990, and it is more common than ever for older couples to end their marriages. In fact, the number of grey divorces is growing at such a fast rate that it is outpacing the divorce rate for younger couples.
As previously mentioned, grey divorce can be more challenging than divorce for younger couples. This is because older couples often have more assets, more complex financial situations, and more intertwined lives. Because of this, it is important to work with an attorney who has extensive experience in handling these types of cases.
Why Do Older Couples Get Divorced?
There are many reasons why older couples get divorced. Some of the most common reasons include the following:
- Empty nest syndrome: After the children move out of the house, many couples realize that they no longer have anything in common and that they have grown apart.
- Longevity: People are living longer than ever, and many older people simply do not want to spend the rest of their life in an unhappy marriage.
- Financial independence: In the past, many women were financially dependent on their husbands, which made divorce an impossible option. However, women are now more financially independent than ever, and they are not afraid to leave an unhappy marriage.
- Infidelity: Infidelity is just as common in older couples as it is in younger couples.
- Change: People change over time, and it is not uncommon for couples to grow apart as they age.
Common Issues in Grey Divorce
Grey divorce often involves a number of complex financial issues that are not as common in divorce cases involving younger couples. Some of the most common issues in grey divorce include the following:
- Retirement accounts: Older couples often have significant retirement savings in the form of 401(k)s, IRAs, and other types of accounts. These assets must be divided as part of the divorce. It is also important to note that dividing a retirement account can be much more complex than dividing a bank account or other type of asset.
- Social Security: Social security benefits are also considered to be an asset and must be divided as part of the divorce.
- Real estate: Many older couples own real estate in the form of a home, vacation property, or investment property. This real estate must be divided as part of the divorce.
- Family business: Many older couples own a business together. In these cases, the business must be valued and divided as part of the divorce.
- Healthcare: Older couples often have more significant healthcare needs than younger couples. This must be taken into consideration when determining spousal support and other financial issues.
At Hedayati Law Group P.C., we understand the complexities that are often involved in grey divorce and can help you navigate these issues.
How Is Grey Divorce Different from Divorce for Younger Couples?
In addition to the issues that have been previously discussed, grey divorce is often very different from divorce for younger couples in a number of other ways as well. For example, many older couples do not have minor children, which means that they do not have to worry about child custody and visitation. However, they may have adult children, which means that they may have to worry about issues such as college tuition and other expenses. In addition, many older couples have adult children who are still financially dependent on them. In these cases, the couple may have to worry about child support as well.
Older couples may also have to worry about issues such as healthcare and long-term care. For example, one spouse may be in a nursing home and may need to qualify for Medicaid. In these cases, it is important to work with an attorney who is knowledgeable about the Medicaid process and can help you navigate these complex issues.
How Can Our Southampton Grey Divorce Lawyer Help?
If you are considering a grey divorce, it is important to work with a lawyer who is experienced in handling these types of cases. At Hedayati Law Group P.C., we can help you understand your rights and options and can guide you through the entire process. Our firm is dedicated to providing each and every client with the compassionate and personalized legal representation that they deserve. We understand that divorce is an emotional and stressful process and will be there with you every step of the way.
How Do I Prepare for a Grey Divorce?
If you are considering a grey divorce, there are several steps that you should take to prepare:
- Collect and organize your financial documents. This includes documents such as bank statements, tax returns, pay stubs, and other records. It is also a good idea to make a list of all of your assets and debts.
- Open a post office box. This will ensure that all of your mail is coming to a secure location.
- Obtain a copy of your credit report. This will show you what accounts are in your name and what accounts are in your spouse’s name.
- Start setting aside money in a separate bank account.
- Make a list of all of your personal and household items and decide what you want to keep. This will make the property division process easier.
- Make a list of all of your monthly expenses. This will help you determine what you need to maintain your lifestyle.
- Take care of your health. Make sure that you are eating right, getting enough sleep, and exercising regularly.
At Hedayati Law Group P.C., we understand that divorce is an emotional and stressful process and will be there with you every step of the way.
Call Us Today
If you are over 50 and are considering divorce, it is important to work with a lawyer who is experienced in handling these types of cases. At Hedayati Law Group P.C., we have helped many individuals over the age of 50 navigate their divorce and can help you as well. We will work hard to protect your interests and are prepared to aggressively advocate for you at the negotiating table and in the courtroom if necessary.
“Working with Al and Steve was the best decision I made” - Paula K.
“I have the highest regard for Al and Steve” - Lisa M.
“My experiences with Mr. Hedayati and Steve have been wonderful” - Kimberly B.