Divorce Lawyers for Women
pROTECTING THE rIGHTS OF dIVORCING wOMEN & moTHERS IN lONG iSLAND
Despite the gains in women’s rights made throughout the course of decades, true equality for women is still something that requires a fight to obtain. Few concepts bring this potential bias to clearer light than divorce, as it seems that many divorce courts throughout New York and the nation still favor the husband.
Call (631) 880-6440 today to learn what we can do for you as a woman going through a divorce. We offer complimentary consultations.
Complex Financial Assets & Marital Property
For women who chose to leave their occupations or desist their education, the health and overall status of their marital property can be a bit of a mystery. Relying on their husbands to provide the primary source of income while they maintained the home or raised children, women in such situations must be careful to ensure their lack of knowledge is not exploited.
Our divorce lawyers for women are insistent on doing everything we can to help our clients understand the true extent of their marital assets and finances so that they know they are getting their fair, equitable share in a divorce.
Complex marital assets that may be pertinent to your divorce include:
- Retirement plans & savings
- Privately-owned businesses
- Stock options
- Real estate property
Any property that belonged solely to your husband before you married started off as separate property. If you contributed significantly to that property’s upkeep or value, however, it could potentially become marital property, allowing you to have a share of it when you divorce. For example: If your husband owned a restaurant and you worked there as a manager for years, it would likely be considered marital property due to your dedication.
Your Rights as a Woman & Mother
All aspects of a divorce are meant to be considered on a case-by-case basis. Preexisting biases or judgments should not be permitted to affect your case, but they may.
Our lawyers handle every case we accept as if it was our own, monitoring the process carefully as it progresses so there is no room for unfair judgments. If we see something that does not respect your rights as a woman or a mother in divorce, we will stand up and fight on your behalf until it is fixed.
Important factors of a divorce that cannot be overlooked are:
Tips for Women in a Divorce
You probably never thought that you would be facing a divorce away from your husband, and yet now it looms right over the horizon. Rather than wondering how it is you got to this point, it is better to face the problem head-on.
Prepare yourself for the legal battle ahead with these smart tips every woman should know when she is handed divorce papers, or hands them out herself.
- Budget: Day-to-day expenses all add up into one monthly sum. You need to calculate what your living expenses usually cost you every 30 days, not just every week, especially if you are not the chief breadwinner.
- Teamwork: Controlling husbands will not stop trying to be assertive and commanding just because you are divorcing. Do not attempt to talk to your husband alone to work something out. Always go into any conversation or mediation with your attorney at your side.
- Procedure: The divorce court follows a strict set of guidelines and rules when it comes to posing arguments and presenting evidence. If you were planning on taking the time to tell the judge “your side of the story,” you need to plan again, for this probably will not happen.
- Protection: If your husband has a violent history or the tendency to overreact with anger at things, you might want to consider filing for an order of protection just before serving your divorce paperwork. Always take steps to remove yourself from dangerous situations, even if that means calling the police for something your husband has done.
- Children: Remember that if you share children with your husband, the court will want to act in their best interests, not your own or your husband’s. Anticipate what will benefit your kids and plan accordingly to avoid stress and surprises later.
Your Voice Will Be Heard
Women need to be willing to stand up and speak their minds when it comes to divorce, or else a one-sided court system could strip away their rights. At Hedayati Law Group, our attorneys are proud to be able to say that we provide fair, honest, and tenacious representation for women in all sorts of divorce or family law situations.