We Are Trustworthy Long Island Divorce Lawyers
Call (631) 880-6440 for a Free Review!
Our law firm understands how difficult the divorce process can be for our clients, even when they are the ones who made the final decision to dissolve their marriage. We represent men and women day in and day out, protecting their rights and helping them find effective solutions to their family law matters in Long Island.
Why Choose Hedayati Law Group P.C.?
By listening carefully to your needs and objectives, we can develop a comprehensive legal strategy that respects your wishes and never loses sight of your best interests. We can help you understand the possible drawbacks or strengths of the options available to you, so you are informed about and involved in every important decision. Our Long Island divorce attorneys are able to handle a wide range of divorce matters, both complex and run-of-the-mill.
We can protect your rights inside and outside of the courtroom. What makes our firm unique?
- 150+ years' shared experience
- Founder chosen for Super Lawyers® Rising Stars 2015, 2016, & 2017
- Being a one-stop-shop for divorce issues
- Competitive rates & a free consultation
Regardless of whether your divorce will be contested or uncontested, we will do everything possible to obtain the final divorce settlement that reflects what suits you best. As a one-stop law firm for divorce, you can find all the divorce services you need under the same roof, and all at competitively-priced fees. At the end of the day, everything we do must be for our clients, and we believe that this convenience we offer speaks to our commitment to you and your family. At Hedayati Law Group, P.C., you are number one.
Divorce Lawyers Guiding Families Across Long Island
Divorce is not just about the dissolution of your marriage; you will also need to consider how it will ultimately affect you for the rest of your life. Furthermore, if you have any children shared between you and your soon-to-be ex-spouse, the decisions you make in the near future could have implications for the rest of their lives as well. Our knowledgeable Long Island legal team can sit down with you and discuss any divorce-related issues that might be pertinent to your case.
Matters we will want to evaluate include:
- Child custody: Where will your child live and with which parent? How will major decisions about education, medical care, religion, and other issues be decided? We can guide families through many of these and other custody decisions.
- Child support: How is support calculated? Do deviations apply in your case? Our attorneys can help parents determine a fair and accurate support amount.
- Alimony payments: Whether or not a spouse is awarded alimony depends on the couple's unique situation. An attorney can evaluate your circumstances and advocate for your interests.
- Orders of protection: If you are suffering from abuse or domestic violence, find out how an order of protection can help you.
- Visitation rights: We can represent parents, grandparents, or other family members who desire visitation rights to a child.
- Property and division: Couples tend to dispute the way assets, properties, and debts are divided. Our divorce lawyers can help couples determine an equitable and fair way to split their marital properties.
- Relocation options: Whether you need to relocate or contest a relocation, our attorneys can assist with all modification matters. We can help you modify custody, visitation, and support orders as needed.
- Legal separation: Some couples may decide that they're not ready to move forward with a divorce, for either emotional, financial, or religious reasons. Legal separation may be able to offer you an easier transition to life as you and your spouse separates. With legal separation, you must still work out agreements regarding custody/visitation of children and property division.
Call our trusted team today for step-by-step legal guidance for your divorce.
New York Residency Requirements for Divorce
To obtain a divorce in New York, you and your spouse must satisfy at least one of the state's residency requirements:
- You were married in New York and either spouse resided in the state for at least one year
- You and your spouse has lived in the state for at least one year before filing.
- The grounds for divorce happened in the state, and either spouse lived in the state for at least one year
- If you were not married in New York and the basis for divorce didn't occur in the state, either spouse must have lived in the state for two years
Divorce Process in New York
The divorce process can be complicated and sometimes confusing. Below we offer a basic overview of how an uncontested divorce works in New York. Our attorneys are here to answer any questions and guide you through the process.
- Preparing the paperwork: You must fill out and file a summons and complaint or summons with notice, either of which will require that you include details of why you are divorcing and information about your children.
- Serving the form: This means that your spouse will be provided with a copy of the completed paperwork.
- Your spouse responds: Once your spouse receives the forms, he or she will respond by agreeing and signing the forms. If your spouse disagrees with aspects of your divorce, then you are facing a contested divorce and may need to consult an attorney.
- Adding to the court calendar: If everything is ready and signed by you and your spouse, then your case is ready to be placed on the court's calendar for approval. You must also pay the required court filing fees.
- Judgment: The judge will review your case to see if anything is wrong, and then approve and sign the judgment.
The process may vary depending on the complexity of the divorce. There may be negotiations involved or you and your spouse may decide to go into mediation to settle disputes. It is always a good idea to consult a Long Island divorce attorney if you are having trouble resolving issues with your spouse or communicating with your spouse. In contested divorces, we highly recommend that you work with an attorney to make sure that your rights are protected.
Find the Right Divorce Solution for Your Family
If you would like to file for divorce, we at Hedayati Law Group P.C. are here to help you smoothly transition into the next chapter of your life. Filing for divorce can feel like an emotional rollercoaster, but we can do everything in our power to help you feel calm and well-informed. With us at your side, you can have confidence in knowing that each decision you make will be smart and strategic.
When you would like matters to remain simple, we can try to settle things outside of court. In some instances, this will save everyone time and money. We also understand, however, that some issues are too sensitive to overlook and conflicts could escalate. We are always prepared to take the fight to the courtroom on behalf of our clients. Our firm will remain at your side to ensure that your rights and interests are protected at all times.
If you need help with the following kinds of divorces or family law issues, we can help:
- Complex divorce
- Same-sex divorce
- Same-sex prenuptial agreements
- Divorce settlements
- No-Fault Divorce
Do you have questions or concerns that you are afraid no one will be able to answer? Look no further than our Long Island divorce attorneys. We can explain to you exactly the grounds for divorce you might need to utilize in your case and set you on the right path. If you are just unsure about how things might pan out, we would be glad to discuss all of the most common divorce do's and don'ts with you as well.
If you are filing for divorce in Long Island or a surrounding area, call us at
(631) 880-6440 for a complimentary consult.