Citizenship Through Spouse in Long Island & Manhattan

In general, you may qualify for naturalization under Section 319(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) if you:

  • Have been a permanent resident (green card holder) for at least 3 years
  • Have been living in marital union with the same U.S. citizen spouse during such time
  • Meet all other eligibility requirements under this section

K-1 Fiancé Visa

If you are engaged to a non-citizen, you may be able to help your fiancée secure a K-1 visa for entry to the U.S. A K-1 visa has a 90-day duration of stay, and the wedding most take place during this period for the visa to be valid. Work authorization is available with the K-1 visa. Once this is done, the holder of a K-1 visa may then apply for permanent residence through a green card. Note that the K-1 visa is not eligible for renewal. Requirements for the K-1 visa include that the engaged parties must have met in person within the past two years, they must have a sincere intention to marry, and there may not be any legal restrictions which would bar them from marrying. The minor, unmarried children of a K-1 visa holder are permitted to enter the United States, and will be eligible for permanent residence at the same time as the visa holder.

K-3 Spouse Visa

Green Card

A U.S. citizen who is married to a foreigner may bring his/her spouse to the U.S. with a K-3 visa. The U.S. citizen spouse must file an immigrant visa petition on behalf of the foreign spouse and show proof of marriage and means of financial support so that the spouse can obtain a K-3 visa. The K-3 enables a foreign spouse to enter the U.S. and wait for their priority date. During that time, the K-3 visa holder can apply for authorization to work in the U.S.

The K-3 visa holder can also study while waiting for the issuance of an immigrant visa. The K-3 visa holder and their minor unmarried children who are in the U.S. under the K-4 visa are allowed to travel domestically and internationally outside the U.S. Ascertaining whether you are eligible for a K-3 visa can be tough and the procedural requirements are complex which requires the skill and expertise of an experienced immigration attorney.

Call (631) 880-6440 or contact us online to discuss your options in a consultation. Get 150+ years of combined experience on your side!

Contact Our Offices Today!

Let us be your confidant when you have no one else to turn to. Call us at (631) 880-6440 to schedule a free consultation.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Put Us On Your Side