Divorce Tips for Stay at Home Spouses
Every marriage has a different dynamic. Some marriages work best with both spouses out of the house, while others prefer to have one party stop working in order to take care of the home. However, with marriages in which one party is a stay at home spouse, things may become more complicated when it comes to determining how to divide the finances, assets, and property.
If you are a stay at home spouse who is currently facing divorce, consider the following tips:
- Protect your finances and assets with the help of a good accountant, who will help you examine your taxes, settlement options, and planning perspectives. An accountant will also consider your finances separate from your spouse’s, so you can rest assured you won’t be in bad standing with the IRS when it comes to your taxes.
- You may consider also enlisting in the help of an experienced financial advisor. By doing so, you will be in the hands of a professional who can help you invest and funds you receive in the divorce, help you construct a budget, and so much more.
- Don’t allow anyone other than a professional to appraise your home, so you can be aware of its full value.
- Have your home inspected for any major repairs necessary.
- Consult with a mortgage professional in order to understand what your monthly income should be, the amount you may qualify for, and if it is even possible to have a buyout.
As you can see, it is essential for stay at home spouses to do everything possible to ensure they are taken care of in the financial sense.
Contact Our Long Island Family Lawyers Today
Heading for divorce can be a frightening prospect if you are a stay at home spouse, especially if you don’t have any income other than your spouse’s to rely on. However, you can rest assured you are in good hands when you have our Long Island family lawyers today on your side. At Hedayati Law Group, P.C., we have the experience, education, and determination to relentlessly advocate on your behalf.
To speak to a member of our firm, please don’t hesitate to contact us.