Cancellation of Removal
Manhattan & Long Island Immigration Lawyer
If you are facing removal proceedings, it can be a frightening experience that may end up with a judge ordering you to return to your home country. However, in some situations, you may be eligible to file for a cancellation of removal and ask the judge to allow you to stay in the U.S. as a permanent resident.
Cancellation of removal is available to those facing removal proceedings before the United States Executive Office for Immigration Review, have lived in the U.S. for at least 10 years, and whose family members (must be U.S. citizens or Legal Permanent Residents) would suffer extreme hardship if a removal occurred.
At Hedayati Law Group P.C., our team of Manhattan and Long Island immigration attorneys have vast experience in immigration removal defense as well as other immigration matters. We can guide you through the paperwork and immigration removal proceedings, and provide skilled defense so that you have the best possible chance at remaining with your family in this country. The moment you learn that you may be deported, contact our team immediately for help.
Eligibility for Cancellation of Removal
The standard of eligibility is different for cancellation of a removal depending on the situation.
For lawful permanent residents:
- You must be a lawful permanent resident for at least 5 years
- You must have continuously resided in the U.S. for at least 7 years prior to notice of removal proceedings
- You do not have an aggravated felony conviction
For nonpermanent residents:
- You have physically lived in the U.S. for at least 10 years before receiving the notice
- You are a person of good moral character during that 10-year period
- You have not been convicted of crimes of moral turpitude (such as sex offenses, domestic violence, etc.)
- You have a family member who is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident who would experience undue hardship if you were removed.
Start with a Free Consultation
The process can be complex, so talk to our Long Island and Long Island immigration removal defense lawyers to help you determine your eligibility and what you can do to protect your rights. We can review y our situation and plan an effective course of action for you and your family.
Request your free consultation or call (631) 880-6440 to learn more.